Police in Providence, Rhode Island, are back on the manhunt for the suspect who fatally shot two people and wounded nine others at Brown University on Saturday.
Officials had detained a “person of interest” on Sunday but later released that person, explaining that the evidence “now points in a different direction”.
There is not an immediate threat to Brown or the local community, the university said in a statement just before midnight on Sunday. All remaining in-person exams and classes for the semester have been cancelled.
The attack on the campus brings the number of mass shootings in the US to 389 for this year, according to the independent analysis website Gun Violence Archive. It defines mass shootings as having four or more victims killed or injured, not including the attacker.
Here’s what we know about Saturday’s incident.
What happened?
The gunman opened fire in a classroom at around 16:00 local time (21:00 GMT) on Saturday at the Barus and Holley engineering building at the eastern end of Brown’s campus, according to officials.
Final exams were taking place in the building at the time of the shooting, the university said.
An economics professor told local public media outlet Ocean State Radio that the shooting had taken place during a review session for her course, which was led by her teaching assistant.
“He said that the shooter came in the doors, yelled something – he couldn’t remember what he yelled – and started shooting,” Rachel Friedberg said.
“Students started to scramble to try to get away from the shooter, trying to get lower down in the stadium seating, and people got shot,” she added.
A sophomore at Brown, 20-year-old Zoe Weismann, told NBC News she was notified about the shooting through a phone call she received from a friend. She was in her dorm on campus at the time.
“At first, I was panicked,” Ms Weissman said. “Once I knew a little more and I didn’t feel there was imminent danger, I felt numb.”
Mia Tretta, 21, was also in her dorm with a friend, studying for final exams, when gunfire erupted. It was her second encounter with a school shooting. In her first, she was shot.
“Everyone always tells themselves it’ll never be me,” she told the BBC. But, Ms Tretta added, “gun violence doesn’t care if you’ve already been shot before, and it doesn’t care what community you’re in”.
Investigators have said they are not immediately sure how the suspect got inside the first-floor classroom.
Outer doors of the building were unlocked but rooms being used for final exams required badge access, Mayor of Providence Brett Smiley said.

Anadolu via Getty Images
Two students, who were studying in a nearby library when the active gunman alert came through, told the BBC they “stayed away from the windows” as they awaited a police escort.
Officers searched the floor, made them drop their bags and raise their hands before before being led out of the library, the pair said.
Brown University, one of the oldest higher education institutions in the US, is part of the Ivy League, a group of elite universities in the northeast of the country.
The university, which has more than 11,000 students, is in Providence, Rhode Island’s capital city, which is located about 50 miles (80km) from Boston and 180 miles (290km) from New York City.


Who are the victims?
Two students were killed in the incident and nine others were injured.
Police say one of the victims did not suffer a gunshot wound, but had non-life threatening injuries from fragments from a shooting “that had occurred near them”.
In an update on Sunday, Smiley told reporters that one person was in a critical condition, seven others were in a stable condition in hospital, and one one other person with less severe injuries had been discharged.
The identities of those killed or most of those injured have not yet been released, but Brown University President Christina Paxson told reporters that all the victims, including those killed and wounded, were students.
The university has said that the families of the two students who were killed are being supported.
“There are not enough words of comfort for families who lose a child, but we will do all we can,” Prof Paxson said.
On Sunday, the head of Durham Academy, a private school in North Carolina, was quoted by US media saying that one of the school’s alumni, Kendall Turner, was one of those injured in the attack.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Kendall, her family, and all members of the Brown University community during this incredibly difficult time,” said Michael Ulku-Steiner in an email to staff.
Who is the gunman?
The investigation is ongoing and authorities are searching for additional video evidence that could help them track down the suspect.
On Sunday, officials said they had taken a person of interest into custody, but later released them because they did not think that person was the same individual who was seen in CCTV footage.
That footage showed of a male suspect, walking away from the scene of the shooting wearing all black clothing.
There is no weapon visible in the video, and his face is covered. Officials also say a firearm was not found in a sweep of the building.
Some witnesses reportedly told officers that the attacker might have been wearing a camouflage grey mask.
What is the latest?
In a statement late on Sunday, Brown University said there was no immediate threat locally.
Regarding the person who was detained and released, the university cited the state’s attorney general in saying there was “no basis” to consider the released individual a person of interest.
But the university asked “every member of the Brown community to be vigilant in their own activities on campus”.
Prof Paxson said about 2,000 students had been relocated to safe locations the previous day, adding that she was “deeply moved” by students and locals who opened up their homes.
The university has said all remaining exams, papers and projects will not take place as scheduled.
US President Donald Trump, speaking to reporters as he returned to the White House from attending the annual Army and Navy football game, described the shooting as “a terrible thing”.
“All we can do right now is pray for the victims and for those that were very badly hurt,” he said.
Additional reporting by Pratiksha Ghildial




